Monday, May 9, 2011

Kimberly Musial | The Yoga Hive (Pgh)


I stepped through the door of The Yoga Hive on a Sunday morning in late January with a friend after a meeting, immediately fell in love + have been hooked ever since. I am a Hiver.

As the new kids on the [Penn Ave] block in Garfield at the The Glass Lofts, The Yoga Hive connects "people from all backgrounds + fitness levels through the practice of yoga" with an eclectic mix of "Vinaysa, Kundalini + Hatha classes as well as special workshops."

During their special introductory rate package -- $10 for 2-weeks unlimited -- I was at the hive almost everyday + tried all of their classes to find the best fit + mix for me. As an early morning chickadee, my faves are the Kundalini classes with Mike + Galina Tamburo + the Sunny-side Up classes with Kimberly Musial.


The Classes
Vinyasa flows include super cute class names like: 'Breakfast of Champions' (6:15am), 'Sunny-side Up' (8:30am), 'Sayonara, Work!' (6pm) + 'Every Breath You Take' (7:45pm). Kundalini classes run Fridays (6:30am + 4pm) + Sundays (11am + 7:15pm) with both beginner + intermediate levels. Sound Healing + Meditation is Wednesday nights (7:30pm) one of which is full moon gong celebration each month.

Even more exciting, The Yoga Hive is constantly adding new classes + workshops. I'm thrilled for more opportunities to practice Kundalini, which is a little more rare in Pgh -- now also on Tuesdays + Wednesdays at noon, Kundalini Rising class at 6:15am on Thursdays + Morning Sadhana each Saturday at 5am beginning May 14th. There is also a Yoga for Runners + Cyclists on Tuesdays (7:30pm). Fun workshops like Hoop Yoga + Women's Kundalini Yoga Series are equally awesome.

For all other classes + workshops that I'm surely forgetting, check their schedule + check it often:)


The Community
Even more than the classes, which have been wonderful for helping me to learn what calm, still + relaxed are as I am a natural go-go-goer, I love the community. In my 6+ years in Pgh, I haven't found as many like-minded, creative, inspiring, kindred spirits in one place as I have at The Yoga Hive. Most fellow practitioners have become instant connections + new BFFs.

Similar to my recent metamorphosis in career + life, many fellow Hivers are also discovering their passions + embarking on new life chapters. It's great to be in a supportive community walking similar paths together... many of which are people-, community- + change-oriented.

The teachers are equally cool + admirable. Mike + Galina are two of my favorite + most talented people that I've had the pleasure of meeting. I always enjoy conversing with them before + after class. I've also found camaraderie with Lauren Hanna Foster (Breakfast of Champions instructor) as a fellow writer + enjoyer of fun.

In addition to all of the above, I met Kimberly early on + found instant connection as fellow small business owner. Along with getting to know her, I've truly enjoyed watching her business gain greater notoriety + success over the few short months since we've met. Thus, the article on her as an Agent of Change through The Yoga Hive in the East End communities of the Penn Ave Arts Corridor.

If you've been feeling stressed, worn out + unbalanced, I highly recommend checking out The Yoga Hive. You may discover much more than a yoga studio:)


Interview with Kim Musial
  • Tell us about the story of how you fell in love with yoga and your journey to starting The Yoga Hive?
    My first yoga class was in college and it gave me this incredible ability to focus and concentrate on studying. I thought, wow, I actually like studying! It was a revelation. The Yoga Hive journey started much later, in 2008. I was working at Deloitte Consulting and knew I needed drastic change. I was thinking about taking a year to travel around the world but wasn't sure I was ready to take the plunge.

    More than anything I needed space to clear my mind and so I signed-up for a ten day silent vipassana meditation in Mexico. Probably around day 8, I had a revelation about wanting to open a studio. Prior to that, I hadn't really given it much thought. So, I guess it took eight days of intense listening to hear that message!

  • What is your favorite part about being a small biz owner?
    Meeting other small business owners. Having the privilege to set the tone and the vibe at the studio.

  • Were there any major roadblocks/obstacles along the way that nearly kept you from following through with your dream?
    If there aren't at least two roadblocks every day, I think that something is wrong! As with pursuing any dream, there are obstacles - unless you come from some fairytale world where you already have all of the right contacts, money is bountiful and you have a cult following of people to support your business. 

    I will admit that I put Yoga Hive on the shelf a few times. I looked all over town for a suitable space and for as much vacant property as pittsburgh boasts, most property owners were not particularly cooperative. Then I bought a house and that took a while. Finally, I just took the plunge. Someone said to me, if you don't do it now, you will always wonder. And that is the right attitude to have.

  • What advise would you provide to someone just starting out in yoga and/or in pursing their dream -- what is one thing that you wish you would have known when you were just starting?
    For those just starting out in yoga, I would say: "Fear not. You don't need to be flexible to do yoga. And, no one has a perfect yoga practice."

    For pursuing your dream: Grow a thick, thick skin. Plan for everything. Plan for nothing to go your way and to cost twice as much as you think. Stock up on rice and beans. And always practice humility and compassion. I learn something new every single day and so there isn't much I wish I knew because I think that's part of the journey. I just try to learn from my mistakes and stay positive.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment